Tickets will be checked out to students. Students will sell the tickets or return them. Students will be charged for tickets not returned. Each student is expected to sell a minimum of 5 tickets.
All District Info: Southwest HS
Just a few reminders about this weekend’s clinic and concert. Refer to your handout for rehearsal and performance times!
Rehearsals begin at 6:00. Remind the kids that they should be in their chairs and tuned before that time. Have your students enter Southwest HS by the back door near the band hall. They need to bring their instrument, music and a pencil. Cellos and basses will need rock stops or Xeros straps and basses will need to bring a stool. Middle school will rehearse in the orchestra room and high school on the stage.
For Saturday the kids need to either wear their concert black all day or bring it with them to change into. There will be a break Saturday afternoon before the concert to give them time to change.
CONGRATULATIONS REGION 5 ORCHESTRA MEMBERS
Elizabeth Stuard Smith - Alt
Coleman Odom - Alt
CONGRATULATIONS FWISD DISTRICT ORCHESTRA MEMBERS
SENIOR SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY
Dear Orchestra Seniors,
I know this is a super busy time for you, but will you please send the following email to the orchestra directors in your Region? Currently there are NO HS string students who have applied for a TMEA scholarship. Please find the requirements below:
Must be entering as a full-time freshman in a Texas college or university in the fall, 2019. Must major in a music degree program leading to Texas teacher certification with music as the primary teaching field.
Mandatory Parent Meeting - August 28th 6:30 at Paschal High School
- The parent meeting went wonderfully. Thank you to those who attended.
- ASSIGNMENTS DUE
- Handbook Agreement and District Forms due (Sept 5th)
- Activity Fee and School Instrument Maintenance Fee due (Sept 5th)
- All forms can now be filled out and signed online. We are now using Dochub to provide access to these fillable forms. Simply click on the form. You will need to set up a login account before you can fill the forms out. More information can be found here.
THE BIG APPLE
This year's spring trip will be a ONCE IN A LIFETIME, ALL INCLUSIVE trip to New York on March 8-12. We hope to take as many students as possible. There will be a trip meeting immediately following the parent meeting on August 28th. We will need to secure airfare and hotel rates ASAP. Be sure to fill out the trip agreement and pay the deposit in order to reserve a spot in this incredible journey. The first payment will be due on August 29th in order to secure a spot. Don't miss out on this amazing opportunity!
Steps to Successful Practicing
- Take your instrument home!
- Identify ahead of time what you want to accomplish. Is there a certain measure of 2 that need correction? Need to work on straight bow, good tone or vibrato?
- Schedule a block of time, even if it's only 10 minutes. Set a timer.
- Focus on what you planned to accomplish. Don't get side-tracked playing a different section or straight through the piece.
- Record yourself and listen. Mark the items you hear that you still want to improve.
- Encourage and allow someone to hold you accountable for this. A parent/guardian, sibling, friend etc.